It’s the players that make a team...


It's why I can do what I do, because I have a team of talented creatives by my side.

Hales Golfwear S/S16 Collection
  
Rome wasn't built in a day and certainly not by one woman, likewise any creative or business endeavour needs a collective of like-minded people who support each other to achieve great things.

There's an old saying, 'more heads, more knowledge'. The most powerful and successful people know that in order to succeed you need to build a fantastic team around you.



"Every leader has a team. We all eventually become a product of the people we associate closely with". Richard Branson, Entrepreneur, Virgin Atlantic

If we become a product of the people we hang around with, then it's probably a good idea to make sure you surround yourself with those who share your passion, dreams and goals. People that want the same thing you do, positive, successful and optimistic individuals that offer useful advice and feedback. Let go of the naysayers, the ones that say 'you can't'. Drop the people that try to extinguish your flame. 

But how do you find the people you need, the graphic designers, the pattern cutters, illustrators? 

I had very little funds and no clue where to go so I went back to my old school, London College of Fashion for help, whereby they told me of an online site* where I could advertise and ask for what I needed. This site connects employers with creative talent from University of the Arts schools in London, it receives over 30,000 views a month and gives you access to London's creative community. Absolutely perfect. 

Zara Collection 2016
 My Illustrator answered my ad, after a serendipitous moment on Instagram. She creates beautiful fashion illustrations that showcase Hales Golfwear designs. She also works as a textile print designer (see her work here) and recently had one of her stunning prints used for a Zara dress. Needless to say, she's an awesome talent, with a sharp eye for design, and I'm lucky and exited to be able to work with her. 

There is something so satisfying about seeing my ideas brought to life. 

I am very fortunate to have a skilled pattern cutter and seamstress, who can take one look at a sketch and produce the exact same garment. Like magic. I get goosebumps every time. She cuts and sews for some of London's leading independent fashion designers; go into the luxury department stores in Knightsbridge and you'll find her work on the rails selling for thousands of pounds. 

Fashion Toile, Hales Golfwear S/S16 Collection

Sometimes you have to kiss a few frogs until you find your prince, well the same is true in any creative or business partnership, Hales Golfwear didn't happen over night, I had to meet quite a few potential players until I found the perfect fit. 

It takes time to build a successful team but it's totally worth it. 

*the site I mentioned is Creative Opportunities 

www.halesgolfwear.com

Comments